The A-24 series was designed as a dive-bomber variant of the Dauntless but did not achieve the fame of that aircraft and, after a number of not particularly successful operations, was relegated to the training and support roles.
Design of the A-26 Invader (renamed B-26 in 1948) is attributed to a team led by Ed Heinemann at the Douglas Aircraft Company’s El Segundo plant, the prototype flying for the first time on 10 July 1942.
The Douglas XBT2D-1 was designed in the early 1940s and was first flown in prototype form (BuAer 09086) on 18 March 1945 by LaVerne Brown, the type entering service as the AD-1 in 1946 and commenced service in the Korean War with the US Navy and US Marine Corps.
In 1934 the US Army Air Corps sought a new bomber with twice the bomb load of the Martin B-10. Douglas submitted a design to meet the specification using the basic design of the DC-2. Designs submitted were the Boeing 299, the Martin 146 and the Douglas DB-1, each
The prototype of the Venom series (VV612) was flown for the first time on 2 September 1949, and subsequently it was built in two main variants, the FB Mk 1 and the FB Mk 4, some 383 and 150 examples of each model respectively being built for the RAF.
Designed as a private venture, the de Havilland Vampire two-seat trainer was a development of the Vampire single-seat fighter-bomber. Known as the DH-115 Vampire T.11, the first of two prototypes (G-5-7 – later WW456) was flown for the first time on 15 November 1950.
The DH.1 was, usually known as the Airco DH.1, was designed by Geoffrey de Havilland after he became the chief designer of The Aircraft Manufacturing Co (Airco). It was similar in appearance to the RAF FE.2, which he also previously designed, and was crewed by a pilot and an
Originally designed as a land-based all-weather fighter for the RAF in competition with the Gloster Javelin, the Sea Vixen, or DH-110, was flown in prototype form (WG236) on 26 September 1951, a second aircraft (WG240) joining the test programme on 25 July 1952, both aircraft being built in the Experimental
The DH.4 was produced in prototype form by the Aircraft Manufacturing Co of Hendon in 1916, this aircraft (3696) making its first flight in mid August 1916 at Hendon, and was unusual in having dual controls.
In the late 1930’s the RAAF was operating a small fleet of Supermarine Seagull V biplanes for reconnaissance, air-sea rescue, and general operations and was having problems keeping the aircraft airworthy. The wings were built of metal and with operations on salt water corrosion was causing problems.
In June 1914 Geoffrey de Havilland moved from the Royal Aircraft Factory to the Aircraft Manufacturing Co Ltd (AIRCO) and commenced design of a series of reconnaissance and scout aircraft, the first becoming the Airco DH.1, followed by the DH.2. The Airco DH.5 was designed in 1916 as a
Following the success of the Mosquito, de Havilland prepared a new design intended to be a long-range medium-altitude single-seat fighter which could also be used as an unarmed photo-reconnaissance aircraft, or as a fighter bomber.
The Dolphin was designed by the Douglas Aircraft Co to meet the requirements of civil operators for a twin-engine flying boat, and the prototype, initially known as the Sinbad, flew for the first time at Santa Monica Bay, California, in July 1930.
This was a machine designed and built in Australia. It is a low-wing sporting monoplane developed in Queensland using the fuselage basically of the Foxcon Terrier 100, which has been developed and produced at Mackay and provided in kit form, lengthening it, making some other changes to meet the needs
In 1939 the Douglas Aircraft Company decided to design and build a new four-engine airliner with an un-pressurised fuselage, providing accommodation for 42 passengers, and a range which was sufficient to permit US transcontinental performance, powered by the Pratt & Whitney R-2000 radial engine.
The DC-5 was designed by Ed Heineman (who later designed the A-4 Skyhawk) and built at the El Segundo Division of the Douglas Aircraft Co at Inglewood, California to meet airline requirements for a 16 – 22 seat twin-engine airliner.
In 1911 John Duigan, whilst in England, ordered an Avro aircraft known as the Avro Type D fitted with a 37-kw (50-hp) Alvaston engine, and in it he gained his Royal Aero Club certificate No 211 at Brooklands in April 1912.
In an attempt to maintain its competitive position as a supplier of transport aircraft to the world’s airlines, Douglas Aircraft Company commenced the design of a jet powered aircraft to replace the DC-7 series.
The MCR-4 series was designed and is marketed in France by Societe Dyn’Aero of Darois and was initially produced in two versions, the MCR01 ULC, being an ultra light which has a max all-up weight of 450-kg (992-lb) so may be registered under ultra-light rules;