The Puma series of helicopters was designed and developed by the National Aerospatiale Company in France in the early 1960s to meet a requirement of the French Army for a medium-lift, twin-engine, helicopter.
Developed as a general-purpose, light-weight helicopter for military and civil use, the Gazelle was produced in large quantities both by Aerospatiale in France and Westland in the United Kingdom, as well as being assembled in Yugoslavia.
Designed by the French company, Sud Aviation, which later became part of Aerospatiale, the national aerospace company, the Alouette II was one of the early success stories in the development, production and marketing of helicopters in France.
The PZL 101 Gawron is a single engine rugged utility aircraft which was built in some numbers in Poland for the Eastern Europe market, being produced by WSK-Okecie, this company later becoming known as PZL Warszawa-Okecia and is a development of the Soviet-built Yakovlev Yak 12M.
Stanley Hill Jr designed the Model 360 helicopter and offered it for commercial sale in 1948. Subsequently the designation Hiller 360 was dropped in favour of UH-12, and later models were known simply as the 12C, 12E, etc.
The Bell Model 209 or AH-1 was a redesigned Iroquois with a gunner and pilot in tandem, a chin turret fitted with a 7.62 mm (0.30 in) Minigun, or 40 mm grenade launchers, and with stub wings carrying four weapons pylons.
Affectionately known as the Bamboo Bomber, cloth moth, and double breasted Stearman, the Cessna Bobcat, known as the Crane in RCAF service, was built by the Cessna Aircraft Company at Wichita, Kansas, some 5,402 examples being completed.
The Model 406 Caravan II was developed as a joint venture between Cessna and its French associate, Reims Aviation, for the utility market. Reims has built over 6,000 Cessna-designed aircraft over the years and it was initially a joint concern but in 1989 Cessna sold its interest to the
On 10 December 1969 Cessna announced it was introducing a new pressurised twin-engine aircraft known as the Model 414 and this aircraft combined the basic fuselage and tail unit of the Model 421 with the wing of the Model 401 fitted with two Continental TSIO-520-J turbo-supercharged engines driving three-blade constant-speed
The Whirlwind was a development of the Sikorsky S-55, the prototype HAR-1 (XA862) flying for the first time on 21 August 1953 powered by a 448-kw (600-hp) Pratt & Whitney R-1340-40 radial engine and was later delivered to the Royal Navy.
The Philicopter did not represent the first venture into the production of a commercial helicopter by an Australian company but it, like the Wikopter and the Moser, built in the 1960s, was one of the first. However none in fact have entered production.
The Vazar Dash 3 is a conversion by the Vardax Corporation of Bellingham, Washington, of the de Havilland DHC-3 Otter to take a turboprop powerplant, the company in recent years being known as Vazar Aerospace.
To meet customer requirement, Transavia continued with further development of the basic Airtruk, and this led to the Model T-320 Airtruk fitted with the Rolls Royce/Continental Tiara 6-320-2B engine producing 239-kw (320-hp).
The TBM-900 is a development of the business and executive / utility aircraft series produced in France since it was introduced to the market in 1990, examples being operated over the years by the French Arm and Air Force, with 324 TBM-700s being delivered, followed by 338 TBM-850s, being replaced
The Hiller UH-12 series of utility helicopters has been in service world-wide for many years, being produced by the original Hiller company and was known as the Model 360 family, and some were produced by Fairchild-Hiller, , being supported by Hiller Aviation Inc which produced new or re-manufactured examples until
The P-68 series of light transports was designed by Professor Luigi Pascale and placed in production in Italy by Partenavia in 1972. The prototype (I-TWIN) was flown on 25 May 1970, and this was followed by ten pre-production aircraft, these having a slightly shorter fuselage than the production aircraft, the
The Wilga (ie Thrush) was designed and built in Poland by Polskie Zaklady Lothicze (PZL) as a light general purpose utility aircraft and the prototype, known as the Wilga I (SP-PAZ), fitted with an indigenous 145-kw (195-hp) Narkiewicz WN-6B engine, flew for the first time on 24 April 1962.